Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fringe Benefits

Photobucket

Last week me and my best friend decided to channel our inner old ladies by having appetizers at Applebee's and hitting up the local Goodwill afterwards. There I came across this fringed leather biker jacket that for some reason I became inexplicably attached to. Upon pulling it from the rack, it looked hideous and almost comical, but I had to try it on. And then I fell in love with it. The fringe on the sleeves is a little much, but I really liked the fringe hanging from the back. It reminded me of Leighton Meester's Giambattista Valli dress, which you can see for yourself at the link [here].

Photobucket

But alas, our love could not be. Me and that jacket were simply not meant for each other since I did not have $50 to bust on it. Really expensive for a Goodwill find, I know! However upon doing some research on fringed leather biker jackets I came across this one from William Rast a few seasons ago. It was selling at Nordstrom for 4 times the price of the one at Goodwill. While the William Rast one is obviously newer, I can't help but think that from the picture above, the old vintage 80's one was made of thicker more durable leather. Either way I couldn't really get over the guilt I would have if I bought another leather jacket (I already have 9, I'm obsessed I know) so I left Goodwill empty handed, content with some pictures Dee took of it in the fitting room.

My encounter with that fringed leather find at Goodwill gave me a new appreciation for fringe. Although it can easily be seen as tacky, too 80's, or overly Indian inspired, I definitely see how in the right doses it can add a bit of interest and texture to something solid black.

Photobucket

Thank you for putting up with my cheesy 80's Rebel Without a Cause wannabe poses. I hope you guys have a great weekend!

Rach:]

3 comments:

  1. I would have loved to find that at my local goodwill. It crazy what awesome stuff you can find there

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing fringe jacket!
    great blog btw ! lovely pics DEF following you!
    id love for you to check my blog out
    and dont forget to enter in my giveaway (gaga inspired shades)

    xo elena

    www.fashionisinspiration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love fringe!! i'm tempted to figure out if i can do a diy on this to an old leather jacket i have... hmmm

    KeepItFvncy,
    M.E.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach