Wednesday, July 28, 2010

DIY [Orchids and Peacock Wallet]

I had some free time the other day after scouring for possible jobs at the mall and I found myself wandering aimlessly though Forever21. In one of their accessories bins I found [this] wallet and was immediately drawn to the colors and the peacock pattern on it. I've been wanting a new wallet for quite some time but I didn't want to spend the money to buy that one. When I came home I remembered this plain white wallet I had bought for my sister over a year ago that she decided she didn't want after all. Soon enough I broke out the sharpies and began brainstorming ideas on what designs I could draw on the wallet...

Photobucket
Here is what the wallet originally looked like. Its made of plain white pleather and I think I got it from Claire's, that teeny-bopper jewelry store in the mall.

Photobucket
I decided to stick with just black sharpie on the front side and began drawing an orchid design on it.

Photobucket
The orchid design is actually from my bff Dee's blog background which you can see for yourself [here].

Photobucket
I emphasized the outer lines more and kept the lines inside the petals very faint for a more dynamic effect.

Photobucket
The finished front side came out to my liking. I planned to stop here, but I decided to continue with the back side after that.

Photobucket
Inspired by the peacock design on the clutch at Forever21, I decided to draw a more graphic version of it on the back of my wallet. My design ended up being much more line heavy.

Photobucket
Here are how the two sides I drew on look together when the wallet is opened laying flat.

Photobucket
I think I am more a fan of the orchid design side, probably because they used to be one of my favorite flowers.

Photobucket
Even though I was supposed to be doing schoolwork the night I drew on this wallet, I had fun doodling. My next post will be an outfit post with the wallet. Until then!

Rach:]

23 comments:

  1. Amazing work! I want one :)

    Amy
    www.stylishyear.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your such an amazing artist! I would definitely buy a wallet like that in stores!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God, you're very very very talented! The orchids one is beyond gorgeous. Is the marker going to rub off though? I hope not! :D

    www.monochromachic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, wow!!
    i discovered your blog a few days ago and i absolutely love it! you are very talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea! I was actually looking for a clutch with some kind of design on it, I think I'll just make one myself aswell ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. omgah! i found your blog from a cupcakes and cashmere link and now i'm definitely a follower! how talented! your outfits and artwork are amaziiing. i love the peacock side :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! your really really talented. both sides of the wallet look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WHOAA, so cool!!! i am in love with that orchid design. and i alllways end up doing random stuff like this instead of school work... oh well! gotta keep doing what you love (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That is so awesome! I love both sides. I definetly want to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! You are so talented! They look great!

    <3
    Natasha @ twenty-something blog
    http://poshxoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. If only I were this talented.

    LOVE the peacock one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, thank you :) It's my favourite blazer!

    WOW - I am so inspired by your art works, your Sunday Blogger Sketches are AMAZING! you're so talented! And these DIY purses, gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. you must have been reading my mind- i was just thinking the other day of redoing one of my wallets with a drawn design...yours is way better though than mine would have been! i love both designs, but as i'm partial to peacocks, i really love the side. awesome job, can't wait to see it with an outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great post!!!

    check out my new post if you like! Part III

    vicky from HotGossip

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is the most beautiful wallet - i am so impressed with your drawing skills i love it!!

    http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. so impressive!... makes me want to doodle!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful! you are talented.
    thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no you di-in't girl!!!

    These look amazing!! I only wish I could doodle like you doodle. If you were selling, I'd be buying ;)

    xo,
    raven

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach