Thursday, August 19, 2010

DIY [Studded Leather Jacket]

This really isn't an ingenious Do It Yourself project. Anyone can do this with a few studs and an Xacto-knife. I was inspired after I saw [this] ad for Madonna's Material Girl clothing line at Macy's featuring Taylor Momsen. Of course I immediately wanted the studded leather jacket Taylor was wearing but didn't want to pay the $60 at department stores for it. So I broke out this cheap faux-leather motorcycle jacket I bought on clearance at Target a few months ago for about $5 and some loose studs from Hobby Lobby and got to work.

Photobucket
As you can see the jacket was a gunmetal shade and little plain in the beginning. I liked that it already had a little grommet detailing down the sides.

Photobucket
I found these studs at Hobby Lobby near their leather work section. At less than $2 for a bag of 30 studs I had to grab a few. I believe I used about a bag and a half for this jacket.

Photobucket
The Material Girl leather jacket that Taylor was wearing had a few different embellishments mixed in with the studs on the lapel. So I dug out this old necklace I had from high school that I bought at Walmart. I took it apart for the gems and the pearls, but don't worry I saved the rest of it for another DIY.

Photobucket
Being the perfectionist as I am, I used some painters tape to line the lapels and measure out 1 inch increments on each side.

Photobucket
For every increment I put a stud in each square 1 inch space. Thankfully this jacket is made of really cheap faux-leather so it was super easy to stab slits for the studs to go in.

Photobucket
I kept the stud's prongs open until I finished a row. At the end of a row, I flipped over the lapel and used pliers to close the studs. This allowed me to keep the studs adjustable if they weren't in a straight line.

Photobucket
I left spaces empty here and there between the studs and went back and put the gems/pearls from my old necklace in them. A thin dot of super glue got them to stick pretty well. There is this super glue that comes in a nail polish like bottle I use and its a life saver.

Photobucket
Ta-da! My finished product! I only put one stud in the corner of the top lapels. I restrained myself from adding anymore to the jacket. Its easy to get carried away with a DIY and go all out, but I wanted to keep this jacket wearable. Too much look for one garment gets a little tacky. Tune in to my next post when I wear the jacket to get a better look at the results of this DIY.

Rach:]

13 comments:

  1. Your so crafty! This jacket looks just like the one in the ad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good, love a bit of DIY I Do (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same feeling when I saw the studded jacket Taylor was wearing! What a really great idea, and the finished product looks really amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your jacket it's s so cute such an easy DIY. I can't wait to see how you wear it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, i totally get you. i'm a perfectionist too + the painter's tape was a good idea as a guideline since it's such a harmless adhesive. such a great DIY though. can't wait to see u wear it!!

    xo,
    raven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have any idea regarding studded leather jacket. here is an interesting stuff you wanna know.
    Motorcycle Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is rally good i really like it these designs are according to new fashion.


    Reflective Motorcycle Vests

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!!
    I've included your DIY on my fashion inspiration blog post. :)
    Check it out here:
    http://anneg08.blogspot.com/2012/09/fashion-inspiration-kimbra-two-way.html

    xx Anne G

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! I love the simple factor in this look!
    Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  10. Owsum leather jacket
    Do you have any idea about dawn leather jacket. here is an interesting stuff you wanna know.
    Dawn leather jacket

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach