Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chanel Cupcakes and Birthday Memories


"If you want to be irreplaceable, you have to be different."

-Coco Chanel

A few weeks ago was my 21st birthday. To celebrate I had all of my friends from studio gather for a sushi dinner and for an after party at my apartment after wards. Although I appreciate my college friends attending, I have to show greater gratitude to my two non-studio friends for driving several hours to celebrate with me. Thanks go out to Dave, my UT friend from back when I lived in Austin, and Marissa, my old high school friend who helped me make the awesome Chanel cupcakes you see below. I just watched 'Coco Chanel' the 2008 film with Shirley McLaine and LOVED it.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Me and Marissa out on my balcony. Now you know what I look like in a more cheesy photo, rather than a super fashion-blogger posed one. But since this is a fashion blog after all, the purple sheath dress is from JCPenney, my sandals are from Target, this supercute leather bow purse was found at Goodwill, and my friend Amy bought me this bowler hat a few hours before the party from Forever21.

Photobucket
Our Chanel cupcakes! Marissa did all the baking and most of the difficult work. I just made the Chanel-inspired fondant toppings. We used a ton of black food coloring and a butter knife to imitate black quilted leather. The double C's were just cut from a cup's imprints. We finished all the other cupcakes with pearls to add to the Chanel theme.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
My little sister and my cousin made this adorable Domo cake for me and a matching card. Although they claim I'm not asian enough to understand Domo, I appreciate their effort.

Yes, Blogger Sketch Sunday did not occur this week. But only because I decided to concentrate on illustrating a header another blogger commissioned me for. I really enjoyed making it for her, so look for it on this Sunday's post!

Rach:]

22 comments:

  1. those cupcakes look delicious!! love your dress too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those Chanel cupcakes ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, those cupcakes are freakin amazing! I still don't understand how you made them, but I want to understand. Help me understand...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cupcakes are great! I love how you even made the brown look quilted, like the purses..detail! detail! I love your blog. My sister is an animation major, just started her freshman year andI'll have to show her this. You are so truly talented...that Audrey Hepburn portrait is unreal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog from Closet Fashionista's post about her header. Great job with the header btw! Absolutely wonderful as well as the one you did for a cup of style! Truly fabulous!

    xoxo, jaz
    fashionstate101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great and those muffins look even better :D haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! I also celebrated my 21st birthday in the summer, and would have loved to be treated to some cupcakes like that. They came out looking amazing, and I'm sure they tasted just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog!
    This looks so delicious!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came to you from Closet Fashionista. :)
    Happy belated birthday! It looks like you had a fabulous time! Those cupcakes are gorgeous. And your outfit is DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hat!
    Those cupcakes are making me hungry, I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what amazing cupcakes! your header is amazing, and happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Om nom nom--those are great! And I love the outfit, too. Needless to say, the dress is amazing (what a great color on you!) and the hat is fun. I shall follow you now!

    P.S. Happy belated birfday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Awesome cupcakes, and ur dress is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those cupcakes!!! Your B-day outfit is so cute!!! Happy Birthday!!!!(a little late =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those Chanel cupcakes are to die for.

    Lela
    http://www.LelaLondon.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday! :D Lol I adore Domo-kun but I love your Chanel cupcakes even more! Awesome idea for a fashion themed party. Loving your blog too, you're so amazingly talented! :D Stay pretty <3

    love,
    Gets

    http://wastedseventeen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Belated Birthday! Those cupcakes are so cute. And I love your bowler hat : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy happy belated Birthday!
    The both of you looked amazing and sweet :)
    And the cupcakes here, well, they are a TEMPTATION. lol, by the looks of it, I can tell they are tasty :P


    <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. the cupcakes look amazing!!! Coco would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these cupcakes! I have some similar posts about Chanel/fashion related baking on my blog... check it out! www.illustratedfroot.blogspot.com
    Love the idea for the Pearls on the icing... im going to nab this idea for a friends birthday! <3 Hope they tasted as good as they looked x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach