Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Style Guide [Juliet Sharp]

Photobucket
If you've been watching the current Fourth season of Gossip Girl, you probably hate this girl. You know. Juliet Sharp. The current scandal starter and life ruiner with a hidden agenda to take out Serena Van der Woodsen. Seriously, you know you love to hate Georgina, but you just hate Juliet.

Many viewers see her wardrobe as a complete flop. A boring and mundane array of beiges and grays with no spark whatsoever. I think that her wardrobe is a genius move on the part of the show's stylists. The first episode Juliet appeared in, it was made clear she isn't a socialite from a wealthy family. From her shabby apartment to her re-tagged to be returned clothes, she obviously does not belong on the upper east side. But think rationally. If I were trying to infiltrate the ridiculously rich, I would probably stick to one color family too. Kind of like how women always rely on a LBD to stay classy. Staying in one shade of color for Juliet makes it easier for her to not take a risk and stick out from the crowd. She needs to blend in and remain undercover until her plot is finished. So dressing in more neutral colors with the same silhouettes helps her go unnoticed.

But honestly, I like her outfits. Yes they are all very similar and can get repetitive, but who doesn't need a uniform to fall back on when life gets hectic? As a sleep deprived college student, I think there is something to gain from having a fool proof uniform you can throw on, feel good about yourself, and get on with your day. These are a few tips on how to dress like Juliet Sharp:

Photobucket
1. Gray, Beige, and Purple:
Alright the most obvious way to dress like Juliet is to stick to the only colors she wears on the show. Her outfits are always in varying shades of gray or beige with purple accents. The steely gray element really suits her character, what hue better illustrates a girl whose last name is Sharp? If you want to emulate Juliet's look I'd start with picking up a few gray pieces and restrain yourself to purple as the only real color.

Photobucket
2. Blazers, Blazers, Blazers:
When Juliet wants to cover up a bit more and maintain that edge, she throws on a sharp blazer over her little mini dresses. It adds a touch of class and professionalism to her look. If you want to steal Juliet's look, invest is a well fitted blazer that nips in at the waist, doesn't have an overly large lapel, and has cropped elbow length sleeves to keep it from looking too business-y.

Photobucket
3. Formal Wear:
During dressier occasions, Juliet leaves her structured sheath dresses and blazers behind and opts for drapey, loose, dramatic gowns. Her evening wear always involves flowing layers of material in a swirl of different shades swishing around her long legs. Juliet also tends to top off these soft dresses with a bold and chunky statement necklace. The necklaces usually correspond with the color of her dress and lay higher up on the neck. They rough heaviness of these pieces juxtapose the light airiness of her gowns. To finish off Juliet's evening look, she grabs a small croc clutch and suede round toe pumps in either purple or gray.

Photobucket
4. Juliet's Silhouette:
This girl never shys away from high hemlines and body hugging dresses. Juliet's basic shape in her clothes always accentuates her athletic frame frame and thin legs. She doesn't have the cleavage Serena has or the narrow waist Blair has, so wearing tight dresses doesn't come off as too vulgar on her. She mainly aims to show off her legs in short thigh skimming dresses. Juliet will try to add some interest to her array of gray frocks with details of draping or pleating. The dress remains skin tight, but with a little extra movement.

Photobucket

Photobucket

5. Textured Bags and Standard Heels:
For purses Juliet gravitates towards ones with lots of texture, whether it be croc skin, leather, or pleating. She seems to have an array of these bags in either gray, beige, or purple. They seem to all have that slouchier shape and remain medium to large in size. As for her shoes, Juliet stays with the same general shoe shape. While Serena and Blair experiment with different heel types and toe forms, Juliet always remains loyal to the most versatile type of shoe. A pointed round toe stiletto heel. This shoe silhouette goes with about anything and she knows it.



Photobucket
6. All about the eyes:
Juliet's make up is the most touched up and flawless of anyone on the show this season. While Blair used to have doll like make up in the first season, now she and Serena have more natural relaxed make up routines. Juliet's make up is not near as heavy as Jenny's raccoon eyes, but it is more heavily applied. Juliet's eye make up is always very made up and overly perfect. She usually wears metallic gray eye shadow with meticulous eyeliner and lots of black mascara. The emphasis is always on her eyes. You won't see this girl with dark dramatic red lips anytime soon. To immolate her make up look, stick to soft metallic shades of eyeshadows to define your eyes. Invest in a smudge proof black eyeliner and the boldest dark mascara you can find. Say no to the dark lipsticks and stay with a few nude or soft pink shades.


To illustrate the tips I've given on how to dress like Juliet Sharp, I've put together a few ensembles I could picture her character wearing.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket


I hope that this style guide has been helpful. If you have any ideas for a specific character or celebrity that I should do a style guide for, I'd love to to hear it!
Rach:]

13 comments:

  1. Have to say I like your styled picks much more than Juliet's onscreen attire. Haha and your right I hate her on the show!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! you woked out her style realy well!


    xoxo from rome
    K.
    http://kcomekarolina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh how fun!!! I like her look, its just basic is all...and not even that really...just mono-toned, haha :D
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I like that you have brought light to her wardrobe, hehe. I think since I am not a big fan of her character, I have created a little bias toward her clothing. These images you chose however, are really nice! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could be a stylist! Seriously...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think she has a great style , and those colors really suit her..Great analysis ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the portrait painting on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this girls, she's not just stunning but also stylish!!
    You know what else have me melting about? Ur site and ur illustrations, what a talented girl and I really mean it. Pls visit me and let me know what u think and if u want to share some fashion inspiration with me to upload at my blog, of course naming ur site, that would be awsome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol i do hate her character!! analyzing her wardrobe like that makes her styling very simple.. she is always in the same silhouettes..
    she's pretty but doesn't grab my attention the way Blair and Serena do

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love gossip girl !!
    especially taylor momsen !


    daraziivana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. great article! Juliet is very stylish indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate Juliet. I can't handle her.

    I thought about this last night when I got caught up on Gossip Girl. I thought about how we kind of hated Chuck at the beginning (hard to remember because it was a few years ago) but then he turned "nice" and so we are allowed to like him. And I thought about few shows keep a person mean/evil forever. Sheila on the Young and the Restless and then when she went on the Bold and the Beautiful was always evil. I can't think of another person now but there has to be someone.

    I also don't like how they made Little J (also called Jenny) mean and evil. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach