Monday, February 7, 2011

Eau de Cologne

Photobucket
A few days ago, the University had a day trip to Cologne, Germany which is about 45 minutes from Bonn. After a whole other bus fiasco (this time the bus picking us up from our neighborhood was late, not our fault) my roommate Amy, 2 other girls from our class, and I barely made the train leaving Bonn. We literally ran through the icy and crowded streets downtown to the train station. I'm surprised I didn't manage to wipe out running on the snow. I guess my duck boots had more traction than I gave them credit for.

Photobucket
In Cologne, we visited the Ludwig Museum of Modern Art. Pretty much filled with the iconic works of the 1960's from guys like Jasper Johns, Roy Lichtenstein, and of course Andy Warhol. This reflection is actually in this strange installation piece that was activated by sound and lit up to show chairs behind the glass.

This is a pretty good representation of my everyday attire. A lot of black on black. I was trying to be as practical as possible upon packing for my trip. Most of my clothes are black so that they would all work together. Now though I think I want to invest in a few statement pieces to give my look some pop. I've got a desire for a cute pair of heeled boots, a bold bag, or a nice going out shirt. Can't seem to have time to shop though, which my wallet is very glad about.

Photobucket
Photobucket
These artworks above are by Jasper Johns. I've always liked his work. Even though his American flag paintings are overly-iconic, I really like the texture he gets by mixing wax with paint pigment.

Photobucket
Mondrian. The one and only. I absolutely hated this piece when I was younger, but its minimalistic simplicity and bold colors have grown on me over the years.

Photobucket
I found this piece in the exhibit by chance. It was in a rather obscure corner. Its actually my absolute favorite piece I saw that day. By Richard Hamilton, its a large scale oil painting of an inverse photograph. I always thought about doing the same idea and its interesting to see it actually done.

Photobucket
The most gorgeous photo of Audrey Hepburn on display. Seriously, this lady's face is flawless. No wonder she is such an icon. I think the shape of her eyes and eyebrows is very distinctly her.

Photobucket
These photos are of the Cologne Cathedral, which was the main reason for our trip to the city. Apparently it is the fifth largest cathedral in the world. It is also the resting place for the remains of the 3 wise men from the bible.

Photobucket
Photobucket
The phenomenal view down the side of the cathedral to the altar. It is quite the vision. My photographs don't do it justice.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I was in love with the design of the stained glass windows. Apparently the original windows were destroyed so the city hired an artist to replace them with a new concept. The artist balanced between modern and traditional. He made a simple geometric design and used the same colors of glass from the original window. I think it looks like a close up of a super pixelated computer image.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Probably one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen before. A photo can't really capture the feeling. Although I love photography, sometimes its better to let down the barrier that is the camera between you and the world and just fully feel the experience.

Photobucket
Photobucket
And of course I must leave you with a food photograph. I swear these bakeries in Germany will be the death of me. What better advertising is there than displaying your sweets in a store front window and leaving the doors open for savory smells to waft through the streets? These were a sort of jelly filled donuts that were incredibly delicious. All they needed was some peanut butter frosting on top.

Thanks for reading guys! Auf Wiedersehen!
Rach:]

18 comments:

  1. LOVE the photos! You must be having a blast :) esp. with those yummy german bakeries....last time I was there, it was pastry mayhem :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are lovely!
    http://haveyoueverfalleninlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful!!! (Especially the donuts)

    http://projecttrophywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cathedral is amazing! I especially loved the windows that had to be replaced - so beautiful!

    Ah, yes, those German bakeries! When I was little, we lived on the same block as a bakery and we would buy fresh bread (brochen)for breakfast all the time. My favorite meal to eat in Germany is definitely breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo of Audrey Hepburn is beautiful. She looks flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. i love the mirror picture
    2. i so want that audrey photo on display
    3. the cathedral is gorgeous!
    4. glad you didnt fall running

    XX
    Vi from Cali

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such gorgeous shots!! The black and white one with red, blue and yellow always makes me think of this one episode from Arthur...haha
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous right now! :) I lived in Cologne for 5yrs (10min w/subway from where you were). And one thing I miss a ton are the bakeries...I swear I would gain 50lbs in a week if I get my hands on all the yummy goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful and doughnuts to end with = perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah those picture of the cathedral are magical!Love hearing about your German adventures, so jealous! Yes, your missing the most insane winter weather here in TX. Dallas has gotten like 10inches of snow and it hasn't gotten above 32 here in Austin in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such visual pictures. You look like you're enjoying yourself.

    Meanwhile, I just tagged you for the Stylish & Versatile Award. If you want to participate, check out my latest post for details.

    www.heartprintandstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Jasper Johns work! Beautiful photos btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful blog!
    Visit me if you like :)

    http://www.schnuersenkelrolltreppentod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. These photos are beautiful! The donuts look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love everything here!

    you pictures, your drawings and sketches....you are an artist!!!!

    goona follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey! i just discovered your blog and i love it! it's so funny, because Bonn is my hometown and seeing all these pics and your comments on Bonn really make me smile! I hope you'll have a good time in Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  17. omg! KRAPFEN! those are heavenly... (I'm originally from Austria). I saw the header you made for Kendi's blog -- your work is beautiful! I'm glad I stumbled across your blog :)

    Naomi
    withoutathingtowear.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach