2.03.2011

I Am-sterdam

Photobucket
Hey bloggers, last weekend I got to visit The Netherlands on a school trip. We spent a few days in Amsterdam, Haarlem, and Zandvoort beach. The trip had a rough start as my roommate Amy and I were late to catch the bus from the University in Bonn to Amsterdam. Upon leaving our host family's house in a panic, we got onto the wrong bus to the University. Instead of getting on the normal bus route, we managed to get onto the school bus for German elementary school students in the neighborhood. I don't know if it was sadder that the bus driver mistook us for 12-year-olds or that we didn't realize that we were the oldest people on the bus. Either way, we didn't realize we were on the wrong bus until it was too late. Thanks to this super helpful little girl on the bus who noticed the 2 lost Americans next to her, we eventually got onto a tram that took us to the University, barely catching our ride to Amsterdam.

Photobucket
Here is downtown Amsterdam. The strip of stores were very interesting. You got everything from souvenir shops, expensive clothing stores, and burger kings next to sex toy stores and pipe shops. All souvenirs tended to be plastered with weed-leaf images or formed in the shape of a certain part of the male anatomy. Needless to say, I didn't buy anything here.

Photobucket
Everyone in Amsterdam rides bikes apparently. There was the most epically large bike-garage downtown. Picture just concrete levels and levels of millions of bikes. Forget losing your car in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Try finding your bike in this mess.

Photobucket
Photobucket
These photos above are of the 'Dam' monument in downtown, Amsterdam. It acted as the meeting place for our group several times. It was also a huge attraction for swarms of pigeons, of which we were very weary of.

Photobucket
We went on a boat canal tour of Amsterdam which was pretty cold and wet. But it was a great way to quickly see all of Amsterdam. There was a lot of interesting architecture. The most identifiably Amsterdam-esque were the tall, narrow, side by side, buildings with flat faces and teetering statures. Among other buildings that caught my attention were the elaborate towers and cantilevering modern glass structures.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Sorry this post doesn't include an outfit. I generally wear the same thing; a black trench coat, black skinnies, and leather boots everyday to school. The only thing that changes are my scarves from day to day. I'm building quite the collection. I'm really excited, you can't really wear scarves in Texas without looking over-ly trendy.

Thanks for checking into my recent European adventures! Until next time! Tschuss!
Rach:]

14 comments

  1. Wow awesome photos! That was a school trip!? Way cool!
    xx

    Enter my M.A.C Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos, i would love to visit amsterdam someday...that's crazy about the souvenir shops though :P
    oh and what a funny accident about getting on the wrong bus, thaat happens to me all the time too :P

    Fashion Bag 411

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kind of mistakes make for the best blog posts! Too funny!

    Did you get to see the Anne Frank House?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounded like a interesting trip! I'd love to go to Amsterdam sometime!
    Krissy xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow it looked like fun minus getting lost on the wrong bus lol. wow that bike structure looks insense im dread going into that parking lot looking through a million


    XX
    Vi from Cali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh I love these photos!! That's kinda funny that you got on the wrong bus XD But I'm glad you finally found your way! :)
    http://aclosetfashionista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adventure!! It was definitely a great story at the end of that bus fiasco.


    stop by:

    http://projecttrophywife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely floored by your amazing talent!! Just discovered your blog today and I love seeing all of your amazing sketches!! also a fan of your photography and i like seeing your style :)

    xo,
    joAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha weed and penises! can't go wrong with that (just kidding). amsterdam seems cool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you're having fun abroad. I'm jealous!

    And I just saw that Kendi's new header is using one of your sketches. AWESOME. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, amazing pictures you took. a few months ago, i was there for the first time. i love this city <3

    sib

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so funny about the bus--and the souvenirs. Souvenirs are the same everywhere you go--hokey! But these photos are great. Love the bike billboard and the graffiti under the building.

    http://mystylecanvas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach