4.04.2011

All The Small Things

Photobucket
Nothing too big has been happening here in Germany since I've gotten back to school. In my animation studio we have started our new project. I won't go much into that assignment, but if you are curious you can read up on it at my professional blog, A One Nhan Show. I don't like to talk too much about school  here on my personal blog.

I wanted to share a few things I've been obsessed with lately. I finally went shopping for the first time in Germany. My friend Amy and I hit up H&M and Zara one afternoon. I've bought a scarf from an H&M in Amsterdam before and that store was 5 stories high. The H&M here in Bonn is only 3 stories, so it was jam packed with people. I ended up buying this mauve and beige perforated leather motorcycle jacket. Its a little different from my other 9 leather jackets, which is why I decided to get it. But I have also yet to wear it because I'm not sure I can pull it off well.

Photobucket
I love the holed texture it has and the suede inserts on the elbow, shoulders, and waist. It doesn't go well with gray T-shirts or patterned scarves, but I will figure out how to wear it right and have an outfit post soon I promise. 

Photobucket
It has finally warmed up here in Germany and since my studded motorcycle boots wore through, I bought these black leather flats. A boring basic, but very much necessary. I love them and for 9 euro, I couldn't be happier.

Photobucket
Since spring is finally here, I put away my heavy winter scarves and traded out for this light spring scarf. Its got more of a handkerchief shape, which took me a while to learn to wear correctly, but I am obsessed with the graphic black and white zig-zags on it.

Photobucket
Not to go all Lagy Gaga on you, but these here are my little monsters. There are these chocolate eggs here in Europe called kinder-eggs that contain little toys inside of them. Most of the toys I find useless or strange, but I love the little monsters that I have gotten in a few. I went on a long streak of continuously buying kinder eggs in hopes of getting another monster, but I've calmed down and stopped now. Amy on the other hand is determined to get a little toy wolf from a kinder egg. I wish there was a way to tell what kind of toy was inside of an egg before buying it.

Photobucket
I bought a grayscale set of copic markers the other day from the art store in town. I am super excited about them because I've always wanted a full color set of these markers, but that would be ridiculously expensive. So I will settle for these. Hopefully I will get around to using them to make myself a new blog header soon.

Photobucket
Okay so usually my obsession with chocolate is the most driving force in my appetite, but recently I have  found a new love and its name is raisin bread. Rosinenbrot in German, I love it when my host family has a fresh loaf of it on the counter. I even craved it so much that I stopped by a bakery and bought it myself the other day. At 2 euro for a huge loaf, I was thrilled.

Photobucket
Its something about the subtly sweet dough and tart raisins that appeals to me. Although bread isn't exactly healthy, I consider it a better addiction than chocolate. I was buying Ritter Sport chocolate bars at an embarrassing rate, but now I have controlled myself to stop.

Photobucket
Now I know I said I don't like to talk about school too much on this blog, but I will make an exception for the last 3 day workshop project we had. Although the assignment had nothing to do with what I decided to create, I pretty much dove into it head first. Almost to an unhealthy obsessive level. Well really to an unhealthy obsessive level.

Photobucket
As a take on the notion that all fashion is constantly changing and trends are always becoming obsolete I decided to make a dress out of the pages of a phone book, which have become useless in our high tech society. Yellow pages, or Gelbe Seiten in German, were incredibly hard to find to make my dress. Completely illustrating the point of my project, the guy I asked at a phone shop told me that I was being ridiculous to ask for a phone book and that I should go use the internet. 

Photobucket
So basically I fell into a single-minded hole of madness after assigning myself my own Project Runway challenge and didn't eat or sleep correctly for 3 days. I bought a cheap dress on clearance from a random shop and completely took it apart. Seriously. It had a big collar, a huge Lady Gaga-esque bow on the right boob, and a pleated skirt before I got to it. I cut it up, added a skirt of nylon underneath, and sewed on about a million of these hand-cut phone book page peacock feathers all over it.

Photobucket
After emerging from my brief stint of obsession, I was unsatisfied with the end result. This project was definitely a learning experience for me.
I learned 3 things:
1) I can't sew. At all. Like really, the number of times I got the thread knotted up and jammed is ridiculous. And I wasn't even using a machine, but hand sewing.
2) I need to start designing within my skill level. Which is pretty low. I was going for something Black Swan meets Alexander McQueen and ended up with Betsy Johnson meets Tinkerbell.
3) If I even want to start entertaining the idea of going into fashion, I have so much to learn. From actual pattern making to sewing on a machine to designing logically.

Oddly enough, even though I'm sad that this project didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, I feel inspired to try harder and achieve something better soon. This is my first attempt, but it won't be my last. While not exactly a failure, this has driven me even harder to succeed next time.

I've decided to put this dress on the back burner for a little while so that I can have my sanity back. Hopefully in a week or so I will return to it with fresh eyes and fix some of the issues I'm having with it. I feel like the volume on the bust part is too much and the waist needs to be more defined. When I am done though, I plan to take better pictures in it and post them here soon.

Rach:]

23 comments

  1. omg that dress is amazing, i don't know what you're talking about, it's seriously a work of art! you have way more patience than i have to create something like that!
    love that jacket too!

    http://goo.gl/fb/EvuXL

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are soooooooooo creative!!! That dress is absolutely fabulous. I can't get over that it is a phone book. You are very, very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is really cool, and you have a ton of courage to undertake such a project :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 that dress it is incredible, I am so impressed!

    http://behindtheleopardglasses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god that dress is AMAZING. Don't sell yourself short, girl, you've got incredible talent. If I could make cool stuff like that... well I'd never leave the house. I'd totally wear it.

    Off topic, that H&M jacket is really cool and the color makes it really stand out. I'll bet it would look great with a flowy black dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's amazing! I'm sort of in awe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think the dress looks very cool.
    and raising bread!! yum :)

    http://styleaccordingtome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, calling it Betsey Johnson meets Tinkerbell is just a LEEETLE bit harsh. I totally get the Black Swan vibe, and I don't think this dress would have gotten you voted off of Project Runway.

    Damn, now I want raisin bread. Have you ever tried it with cream cheese? DELICIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy crap you are so very talented.

    richelle
    www.rarepersona.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing amazing homemade dress!! hats off to you :)

    katrina,x

    www.theyoungbridgetjones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. um, wow. wow! that is all i can say. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that dress is amazing! I love your dedication, hand cutting all those feathers? Absurd, and awesome.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that dress is awesome! If I tried making a phone book dress it...wouldn't look that good! haha.

    As always, even from Germany, you are very inspiring!

    www.scubaduval.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dress is marvelous, dahling ;) Love the H&M jacket - that's gonna go into my coveting list thanks to u.

    XOXO

    http://blog.cinderellasclosetnyc.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. DUDE, that dress is amazing. Seriously, amazing! That would win any and every PR challenge hands down!

    Also, I love that tan motorcycle jacket. I think that we should be best friends.

    xoxo
    tier
    rubywoolovesyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. woooow, amazing! you have much talent, as i can see. and that jacket is beautiful too
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the texture of the jacket. That dress is amazing. I have been sewing for a few years now and I never attempted something that challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found your blog, it is great! I love your photos. That jacket is so cute and I definitely want to try out that set of pens.

    ReplyDelete
  19. okay... that dress is pretty awesome! don't be so hard on yourself!!! i can totally sew but i wouldn't have been able to do that {or have the patience!} you are such a talent!!! i am always sending my sisters over here to look at your sketches...

    ~selina

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the dress and the jacket so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. You are soooo incredibly talented...in more ways than one! Keep it up girl...I foresee great, great things from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach