Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Black and White

IMG_1078
IMG_1111
IMG_1082
IMG_1106ps
IMG_1144
IMG_1135
IMG_1151
Shirt: Forever21. Skirt: Forever21. Purse: thrifted. Shoes: thrifted. Necklace: gift.
Photo Credit: Dee

Recently I've become a huge fan of J.Crew. Their catalogs arriving in the mail are more exciting to me than my monthly magazine subscriptions. And I could gaze at their jewelry collection online for hours. I do remember a time when I never cared to go into the J.Crew at the mall, disinterested in their brightly colored argyle print cardigans. I was curious as to what happened to the company to cause such a drastic change so I looked it up.

What happened was that an innovative fashion powerhouse named Jenna Lyons took over as creative director and turned the company around. With her overtaking came the J.Crew we know today. Full of polished blazers, trousers in beautiful shades of neutrals, fun sparkly tops, and girly feminine cardigans. I'd love to have her job. Rising to the top of an empire and turning it into your own vision is the career of a lifetime. Check out an interview with Jenna on Oprah [HERE].

Long outfit explanation short. I love Jenna's style advice to mix something from the boys with something overly feminine. Play with opposites. And use jewelry as a statement. So here you've got a loose plaid button down paired with my pouffiest skirt and topped with a huge beaded necklace. The only problem is that I tend to always dress in black and white. J.Crew is a prime example of how well put together colors make magic. Maybe one day I'll step out of this monochromatic lull. One day!

Rach:]

33 comments:

  1. You look so beautiful!
    I love the outfit! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the last picture so much, that skirt is gorgeous!
    http://www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the skirt! I also like how you mixed textures and patterns. That is awesome :) The shoes are amazing too. Keep up the great work!

    Michelle
    www.immakingmyhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww you're so beautiful, love the shoes and skirt ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your skirt so much! The mix of patterns is genius! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That outfit's adorable! I love the black and white combo :)

    EclecticTeen
    http://www.eclecticteen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your outfit!! perfect example of 'borrowing from the boys'

    love your necklace with the shirt! so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this look! Especially the shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I totally agree J Crew has done a 180 and I LOVE their stuff now, perfection :)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look absolutely beautiful, my dear! The skirt is fantastic and those shoes...ah, those shoes! <3

    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic outfit! Fantastic. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the checks with the full, girly skirt and that statement necklace. Very cute outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found your blog through Blogs of Note. Congrats, by the way. I've always found colour to look better on other people then myself. I always tend to go the black and white route.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this ❤
    I love your style♪

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the sketch work. thewalkerofthewinds.blogspot.com It's a Fantasy Epic,...stop by and read a 'Bit'. 13 "Bits' all together of a MUCH larger story. Mystics and magic, the world clashing with how things are,...and how they were supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow i love your skirt!

    www.danceinarainstorm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The skirt is fab! Really unique and would look amazing with something plain :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thats a really pretty tutu skirt. Reminds me of Black Swan. You look really nice in your pictures. Thanks for commenting on my blog :)

    http://copycatoutfitter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute and beautiful <3 i like your outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. loving all the blacks!and the heels are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! You are like a girly lumberjack ;) And it looks like you are having so much fun. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your skirt reminds me of one Kate Spade just released (http://www.katespade.com/city-lights-lillith-skirt/NJMU1313,default,pd.html?dwvar_NJMU1313_color=007&start=2&cgid=new-arrivals-clothing) but obviously much much cheaper and to be honest, I love yours much more! Very cute little outfit there my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful pictures; very photogenic. And your photographer has a knack of angle and crop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay me "photographer has a knack of angle and crop.".
    We can go out and take more pictures Monday-Wednesday???
    I think blah I hate being so busy...why is it that when you're gone I have NOTHING to do and when you're here I'm like super busy!? Ahh

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thats a really pretty tutu skirt!!!
    And very beautiful girllll!! quuuuu! :))))


    Please come to on my blog about business


    http://e-spolecznosc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Totally loving this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That skirt is just fantastic. I love it!

    <a href="http://fashionorfiction.blogspot.com>Fashion or Fiction</a>

    ReplyDelete
  28. just found your blog. it's really nice and you are beautiful:))

    x marianne
    pictureme-m.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I absolutely love this look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I greatly appreciate every bit of feedback I get. I aim to return all the comments I receive here. Thanks again for being awesome :]
-Rach